I) According to Nietzsche in The Birth of Tragedy, who killed tragedy?
(1) Euripides, because The Bacchae lacks the Dionysiac element.
(2) Socrates, because reason is the enemy of tragedy.
(3) Jesus, because Christianity is the enemy of tragedy.
(4) Aristophanes, because comedy is the enemy of tragedy.
(5) #2 or #3, but not for the reason given.
II) Which of these two statements is correct?
a. "Nietzsche was like a man who throws himself from a tower in order to put an end to the unbearable sensation of vertigo."
from a tower to end his
III) Which of these two statements comes closest to stating Freud's position?
a. "From the rationalist's point of view, which I feel confident that history will vindicate, Nietzsche backed the wrong side in civilization's death-struggle between the voice of reason, strong in its persistence though prosaic in its form, and the sopranos and tenors of Wagnerian passion that prepared the masses for the dictator's voice on the radio."
b. History will say
Nietzsche backed the wrong side but
History is wrong.
IV) "The Aryans assigned crime to the male sex, the Semites assigned sin to the female." This is a proposition advanced by whom for what purpose?
1) Nietzsche, in an effort to exalt the myth of Prometheus
2) Nietzsche or Freud, because he was a misogynist
3) Nietzsche, because he felt that hubris is a virtue
4) The chorus of wizards in Goethe's Faust, to demonstrate the fallacy of global dichotomies.
5) Aeschylus, in a spontaneous display of joy upon witnessing a luminous cloud on a lake of sorrow.