After much discussion with friend, Jeff T. Johnson, I decided on his advice: I went for a drive to figure, to compose, ponder, to breathe. Here are the ramblings of a mad man gone mad.
1. So much for a visit to the psychiatrist's office: 10 minutes, 1 script, twenty dollar co-payment.
2. I tend to do my finest thinking in the shower, and by finest thinking, I don't mean, in any way, that it is lucid, complex thought, but it's fine enough for me. Warm water: focus. Warm water for twenty minutes: discipline. Warm water for twenty minutes, at least three times a day: productivity. What's better, a drive or a shower?
3. Last night, a former student penned me a note asking me what would the best way to go about getting published. My advice: Don't worry about that, just write. He thanked me.
4. I tend to go for long drives at night. Being nocturnal since birth, it all makes sense. Much like a shower, it forces me to focus, produce. Driving, in my humble opinion, is divinity coupled with grace. Thurston might say, a benediction.
5. I once asked a girl out and she said, no. I once asked a girl out and she said, yes.
6. Today, I took a walk to Unnameable Books and purchased 16 Short Plays by Israel Horovitz, The Orange Eats Creeps by Grace Krilanovich (suggested to me by JTJ), Never Any End to Paris by Enrique Vila-Matas. I was going to purchase After Spicer: Critcal Essays edited by John Emil Vincent, but decided, next time.
7. Read four beautiful poems by Jake Kennedy featured in The Awl (Mark Bibbins, Editor): http://www.theawl.com/2011/05/four-poems-by-jake-kennedy
8. Is there anymore use for the love poem? Obsolete?Dead? What purpose does it serve? Is it coded? Bring it back.
9. Faith in love? Love in faith? Love in?
10. Read a wonderful article on Cummings and Thayer in The Awl this afternoon: http://www.theawl.com/2011/05/a-lost-e-e-cummings-poem-discovered
11: Heard Howard Stern talking about masturbation. He said something to the effect of 3 times a day. I say, on a good day, once, and that usually takes an hour.
12. Today marks the first barbecue of the year at the DeJesús homestead.
13. I love Larry Fisher of Vortex fame. He was my boss for three years at Space Age Bachelor Pad Junk Shop located on E. 11th between 3rd and 4th across from what used to be 99 X. You can find him here and there. Check his site out: http://garbology.wordpress.com/
14. Confining myself to this apartment for 7 days straight, that's one entire week without seeing the light of day, I realized this , on my my first day back out today,: The entire day smelled of delirium. My eyes, twitched; knees, shook. Message sent to Jeff T. Johnson at 4:31 PM. Message reads as follows: Stepping out for the first time in a week smells much like delirium. What's Jake's last name? Have Orange Eats Creeps in my hand.
15. Christine N. Kanowink, as has been our habit for the last several months, and I exchanged more lines via email for a chapbook we are putting together. I look forward to our daily communion.
16. Making sure that the last post for BAP, a roundtable to end all roundtables, goes smoothly.
17. I realized today, as I do everyday, that Paola is indeed a beautiful Sicilian woman.
18. Reminder: New Buster Keaton one-reelers coming out in June on Kino.
19. Reminder: New Thurston Moore album out as of Tuesday. Must purchase.
20. I have brilliant friends who don't mind using the word 'fuck' here and there.
21. Reminder: Kiss Mom, hug Dad.
22. My little brother, Jaime, might be engaged by the beginning of 2012.
23. Everyone reading this post must listen to Hüsker Dü's ep, Metal Circus, at least 5 times in the next week. Promise?
Announcements: Since January of this year, Christine N. Kanownik and I have been exchanging words, poems, lines, via email. Our hope, after much editing, is that this chapbook project started via email might find a home out there in print. Keep an eye out for it.
Some poems of mine to appear in G(o)BBet Magazine in July, and some in Augury Books (Christine N. Kanowink and Kate Angus) sometime next week.
Question of the day as suggested to me by Jeff T. Johnson: Have you invented your own emoticon?
Jeff: I have invented/discovered !..! which is the goat horns or: ROCK! Use
like this: That poem is sick!..! Make another one!..!
Me. I've never dabbled in emitocons, but if I ever do, Jeff, I'm stealing yours!..!
Mark Guarie: My emotions are at the mechanic getting worked on. I invented one once, but then realized I was just a regular old adolescent. I have a great lobotomy guy if anyone is interested.
Poets of the day: Tejan Green Waszak, Jake Kennedy
Please support ABC No Rio, they are good people: http://www.abcnorio.org
Photo of the day: