1) Sean Connery in Marnie
2) Cary Grant in Notorious
3) Orson Welles in A Touch of Evil
4) Laurence Olivier in Rebecca
5) Robert Cummings in Saboteur
The title North by Northwest is a reference to
1) The Tempest and magic
2) Hamlet and madness
3) A popular route flown by Pan American Airlines in 1959
with change of planes at O'Hare and Mt Rushmore the final destination
4) Emily Dickinson's poem "After great pain a formal feeling comes"
5) Cary Grant's use of a road map as a disguise in the dining car
Identify Ambrose Chapel.
1) Albert Hall's younger brother
2) The kidnapper in The Man Who Knew Too Much
3) A London Church
4) The MacGuffin
5) Montgomery Clift's parish in I Confess
1) A childhood crush on a sweet trick named Dietrich
2) Unresolved Oedipal issues
3) Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly, Janet Leigh, Kim Novak, Doris Day,
Joan Fontaine, Priscilla Lane,and Tippi Hedren
4) The idea, which occurred to him with the force of an epiphany, that
blond-versus-brunette mirrored the American power structure
5) The belief that in movies an actor's looks are more important than
her or his talent.
Which of these did Hitchcock invest with uncanny significance?
1) A glass of milk
2) A shattered pair of eyeglasses
3) A giant Sequoia Redwood
4) The key to the wine cellar
5) A burning mansion
Optional essay questions:
1) In Vertigo, who is real, Judy or Madelene?
2) True or false: The age difference between James Stewart and Kim Novak
helps explain the nature of their relationship,which is passionate but not exactly
sexual -- it is more like an event in the man's psyche, which he is destined
3) Bernard Herrmann's music and what it contributed.